Wednesday, February 26, 2014

"Comes the Dawn"

When I was in my senior year of high school, I went through some major life issues, all of which I brought upon myself.  I was spiraling out of control quickly, but I had a support system in place when I needed it the most.  I was losing friends left and right, but was finding friends in unexpected places.  God was speaking to me through a multitude of people and situations, even when I didn't really want to listen.

One thing that has meant the most to me, and has stuck with me for the past 15 years, is a poem that a friend's mom gave me.  I felt like everything I'd ever worked for, like all of my accomplishments, like all of the good in my life, was slowly slipping away.  I was sad...all the time.  She saw that.  She knew what I was going through, without really knowing.

She gave this poem to me, and probably doesn't even know that I still have it.  It is framed, and it sits on the night stand by my bed.  The paper is faded, and folded, and stained from tears.  I reflect back on it from time to time, when I'm feeling down or depressed.  February is a hard month for me typically, so it seems like this is the month when I am drawn to this poem the most.  I do not know the author, even though I am certain it would be easy to find.  I don't need to know.  The words are what matters, and they are powerful.

Peggy, if you ever read this, please know that this has stayed an integral part of my life.  It has meant more to me than I could ever explain.  I had practically memorized this after about the first year of college.  It still means so very much to me 15 years later.  Thank you!



Comes the Dawn

After a while you learn the subtle difference
Between holding a hand and chaining a soul
And you learn that love doesn't mean security,
And you begin to understand that kisses aren't Contracts
And presents aren't promises,
And you begin to accept your defeats
With your head held high and your eyes wide open,
With the grace of a woman, not the grief of a child.


You learn to build your roads
On today because tomorrow's ground
Is too uncertain for plans, and futures have
A way of falling down in mid-flight.

After a while you learn that even sunshine
Burns if you get too much,
So you plant your own garden and decorate
Your own soul, instead of waiting
For someone to bring you flowers
And you learn that you really can endure,
That you really are strong,
And you really do have worth
And you learn and learn . . . and you learn
With every goodbye you learn.

No comments: